What if I can't get my drug because my doctor did not obtain a Prior Authorization from my Medicare Part D plan?

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

First, contact your doctor.

Explain to your doctor that your Medicare Part D plan refused to cover your drug because he/she did not obtain a Prior Authorization.

If your doctor believes that you must have the prescribed drug, then ask your doctor to contact your Medicare Part D plan to request a Prior Authorization/Coverage Determination.

For questions or advice,
contact the Medicare Part D Unit at
Legal Services for the Elderly at

Get more information about requesting a Coverage Determination.