-A A +A

Small Claims

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

If your creditor is suing you for a debt of $6,000 or less, they may sue you in small claims court.

Small claims court is designed to be user-friendly and is less formal than regular district court. Usually, people are not represented by an attorney. You can get the court forms you’ll need to bring a small claim at your local district court or on the Maine Judicial Branch’s website. The Maine Judicial Branch has a guide to small claims which is also available at the district courts and online.

If you have questions about the small claims court forms or the small claims court process, please contact Legal Services for the Elderly Helpline at 1-800-750-5353.