Many older Mainers own their home. This chapter will cover some common issues for older homeowners in Maine. Specifically, the first part of this chapter will talk about:
- What to do if you can’t pay your utility bills;
- Issues that can arise with home repair jobs;
- What happens when you and your neighbor disagree about your property lines; and,
- Loan options for homeowners.
The second part of this chapter will help you if you are afraid you might lose your home, or if you are thinking of giving your home away. Either situation can have big consequences, some more obvious than others. These sections will help you understand what your options are in either situation:
- Important things to consider before selling or giving away your home (transferring title); and,