Advancing a Culture of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Legal Services for the Elderly ("LSE") provides free legal help to Mainers over the age of 60. We also help Medicare-eligible Mainers of all ages access their health care benefits and prescription drugs. LSE advocates for a Maine in which people can meet their basic needs for housing, health care, food, community, safety, and freedom from exploitation and mistreatment.
Our clients and staff come from different communities and backgrounds. This is why LSE is committed to working in a way that makes clients and staff feel welcome and safe. All people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, no matter their age, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, class, or background. This means that we:
- protect our clients' right to access resources to meet their basic needs,
- support our clients' right to make their own decisions, and
- recognize and work to overcome the challenges that many clients face.
Every day, we work to improve the lives of Mainers. Our specific actions and aspirations include:
Programming and Client Outreach
- Working with community groups that are connected with underserved communities throughout the state to ensure our programs welcome and support all Mainers.
- Creating and implementing programs that are sensitive to and reflect the cultural differences within our communities.
- Hiring talented individuals at every level of the organization who reflect Maine's diverse communities by:
- Recruiting and hiring in ways that reflect LSE's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Actively supporting each employee's contribution to LSE's mission.
- Committing to increasing our knowledge and appreciation of other cultures through ongoing cross-cultural training and other education.
- Seeking the opinions of staff members at all levels of the organization.
- Creating a Board of Directors that reflects the diversity of Maine residents.
Policies and Procedures
- Highlighting our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the written material that helps us organize and prioritize our work.
Donors and Community Partners
- Developing and maintaining a shared commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion with people who support our work and/or who are impacted by our work.
These commitments, practices, and focus areas guide LSE as we continue to learn and grow as an organization.