Skip to main content

What problems can LSE help me with?

The Helpline provides legal information, advice and brief services on many legal problems and questions that often come up for older people. We advise older people about consumer problems, like debt collection and home repair contracts, MaineCare, Medicare, long term care, housing, public benefits, advance health care directives, financial powers of attorney, and other civil (non-criminal) matters.

Here are some examples of the questions Helpline attorneys often answer.

  • Will I lose my home if I go to a nursing home?
  • What can I do if bill collectors are hassling me?
  • Can I change a contract that I've signed?
  • Someone has talked me into taking a loan out that I can't pay back. What should I do?
  • Do I need a will?
  • My husband just died. What do I do?
  • I lost MaineCare. How can I get back on it?
  • Does Medicare cover long term care?
  • I got a letter from Social Security saying that they overpaid me. Do I have to pay it back?
  • I moved out of an apartment a month ago, and my landlord still hasn't returned my security deposit. How can I get it back from him?
  • I had a financial power of attorney and living will drawn up in another state. Are they good in Maine?

If you have a legal problem that can't be solved over the phone, a staff attorney in one of our area offices may be able to represent you. Staff attorneys represent older people in more complex cases, such as

  • MaineCare denials
  • elder abuse and financial exploitation
  • predatory lending
  • discharges from long term care facilities (nursing homes)
  • guardianship/conservatorship defense
  • evictions

LSE does not handle criminal matters, divorces, or personal injury cases. Even if LSE can't help you, we may be able to refer you to another legal resource, like Volunteer Lawyers Project or a private attorney at a reduced rate.