Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications

If you live in a rental property, your landlord must be willing to make “reasonable” changes to it's rental policy or your rental housing structure if you need it because of your disability. This is true for private and public housing, with a few exceptions. You need to ask for the changes in writing. Your landlord cannot say "no" unless it would be too expensive, it would require too much of a change to the landlord’s rental program, or if you cannot show that the request is related to your disability.

For more information about reasonable accommodations and modifications, and how to ask for them, read the chapter titled “Rental Agreements and Tenants Rights.”