Long Term Care Housing Options

This section will give you information about the different long term care housing options that are available in Maine. Call your local Area Agency on Aging at 1-877-353-3771 to learn about your options.

  1. Staying in your home. Some older people choose to stay in their home as they age. This is sometimes called “aging in place.” Some older people rely on family to provide care, whereas others hire a home health agency to help. There are a number of community services available that can help with other things like meal preparation and transportation.

    Medicare covers certain short-term home health care. MaineCare might also be an option if you are able to get it.

  2. Independent living housing. The most common types of Independent living programs are senior residences and assisted living facilities. Independent living housing is typically offered in a room or apartment rental. You might have a roommate. Usually these programs offer help with things like bathing, getting dressed or cooking.
    Depending on the program, you might be able to get health care from people who work at the facility.

    You might be able to get help paying for your Independent living housing.

  3. Nursing homes. Nursing homes offer housing for older people who need a great amount of help. Some nursing home residents are there for a short period of time while they recover from an illness or disability. Other nursing home residents live at the nursing home. At a nursing home, you have access to 24-hour medical attention. The nursing home will have a doctor on staff and most also hire nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and occupational therapists on staff.

    There are many very good nursing home options available in Maine. You might be able to get help paying for your nursing home. Your local Agency on Aging can help you find the right one for you and can help with any fears that you might have about moving into a nursing home. If you are researching a specific nursing home, the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (LTCOP) can help you understand state inspection reports, and can give advice on what to look for when you are visiting a nursing home. Call the LTCOP at 1-800-499-0229.

  4. Continuing care retirement communities (CCRC).Retirement communities offer a wide range of services depending upon the resident’s needs. This means that you won’t need to move as your needs increase.

    Retirement communities are very expensive. Most require you to pay a large up-front fee and sign a lengthy contract. In addition to the up-front fee, you will also have to pay rent and monthly fees. If you do choose a CCRC, you might want to get an attorney to help you review the contract.Call the Legal Services for the Elderly Helpline at 1-800-750-5353 to talk to an attorney for free.