Small Claims

The Maine district courts have jurisdiction over small claims cases in which the plaintiff is seeking a money judgment of $6,000 or less. A small claim can also be brought to recover specific goods or to have defective goods repaired.

Small claims court is designed to be user-friendly and is less formal than regular district court. Most parties in small claims court are not represented by an attorney. You can obtain the court forms you’ll need to bring a small claim at your local district court or on the Maine Judicial Branch’s website. The Maine Judicial Branch publishes a comprehensive Guide to Small Claims which is also available at the district courts and online here: Small Claims: State of Maine Judicial Branch.

If you have questions about the small claims court forms or the small claims court process, please contact the Legal Services for Maine Elders Helpline at 1-800-750-5353.


Legal Services for the Elderly
If you are a Maine resident who is 60 or older and you have a debt problem, or if you have questions about your debt, call the Legal Services for the Elderly Helpline at 1-800-750-5353 to speak to an attorney for free.

Maine Judicial Branch
Check out the State of Maine Judicial Branch’s step-by-step guide on how to bring a small claims action on your own. Get the guide by clicking here.