Representative Payee

If you receive Social Security Retirement, Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income or Railroad Retirement benefits, but the Social Security Administration (SSA) or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) believes that you are unable to manage your finances in a way that provides for your basic needs, a “Representative Payee” may be appointed to help you. If you receive Veterans Benefits (VA), this person is called a “Fiduciary.”

A Representative Payee or Fiduciary is not the same thing as an Agent under your Power of Attorney or Advance Health Care Directive. Your Representative Payee or Fiduciary is only authorized to talk to the administrating program on your behalf and will manage ONLY your benefit income.