Veterans Benefits

Veterans of the United States Armed Forces can get benefits through the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Some of these benefits extend to veterans’ family members. If you or your spouse served in the Armed Forces, you might be able to get: disability compensation, disability pension, medical and dental benefits, education programs, life insurance, and home and small business loans.

The State of Maine has additional benefits for veterans who are also residents of Maine. These benefits include: property tax exemptions, nursing and rehabilitation services, and funeral and burial benefits. To see a full list of veterans benefits in Maine, visit the State’s website on the topic by clicking here.

To find out if you are eligible for veterans benefits, call your local Area Agency on Aging at 1-877-353-3771.

Click here to find the VA office nearest you.

Notice of Overpayment

The VA keeps track of your veterans benefits to make sure you get the right amount. If you get a “Notice of Overpayment” from the VA, it is because the VA thinks that you got more money than you should have. Do NOT ignore this notice! You may be able to appeal the Overpayment decision or work out a repayment plan. The Notice of Overpayment letter will explain how you can appeal the decision. You need to follow these instructions carefully.

If you received a Notice of Overpayment, you should talk to an attorney. Call the Legal Services for Maine Elders Helpline at 1-800-750-5353 as soon as you get a Notice of Overpayment; you can speak to an attorney for free.

To start the appeal, you must file a “Notice of Disagreement” with your local VA office within one year of the date of the decision that is the subject of the appeal. If you do nothing, the VA might recover the overpayments by withholding your monthly benefits.

For more information on the appeals process, see the next section of this chapter. Or visit the VA’s website on appeals by clicking here.

To avoid receiving a Notice of Overpayment, make sure you report all sources of income or changes to household income to the VA. If you think that your benefit check is not the right amount, report your concerns to your local VA office as soon as you become aware of the problem.

Appealing Benefit Determination Decisions

If you applied for a benefit program and were denied, or if you disagree with any VA decision, you have the right to appeal. The Board of Veterans’ Appeals has a great step-by-step guide you can follow if you want to appeal a VA decision. Get the guide by clicking here.

Keep in mind that you can only appeal a benefit determination if you do so within one year of receiving the benefit denial or determination.

Although you are not required to hire an attorney to help you with the appeals process, you might want to talk to one about your situation. Call the Legal Services for Maine Elders Helpline at 1-800-750-5353 to talk to an attorney for free.


Legal Services for Maine Elders 
If you are a Maine resident who is 60 or older and you have received a Notice of Overpayment or if you want help with an appeal, call the Legal Services for Maine Elders Helpline at 1-800-750-5353 to talk to an attorney for free.

Pine Tree Legal Assistance
For more information about common legal issues experienced by veterans, visit PTLA's Stateside Legal website by clicking here.

Maine Disability Rights Center
The Maine Disability Rights Center might be able to help you with an appeal if it relates to your disability. Call the Disability Rights Center at 1-800-452-1948.

Area Agency on Aging
To find out what benefit programs you are eligible for, or for help applying, call your local Area Agency on Aging at 1-877-353-3771.

Maine Bureau of Veterans Services
To make sure you are getting all the help you are eligible to get through the VA, or for more information, call the Maine Bureau of Veterans’ Services at (207) 430-6035.

VA Maine Healthcare
For questions about your VA benefits and your healthcare, call VA Maine Healthcare at 877-421-8263.
For more information about VA Maine Healthcare, click here.

Maine Veterans Homes
For more information about the VA homes in Maine, click here.

Maine Department of the American Legion
For general information, call the Maine Department of the American Legion at 207-873-3229.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
To contact the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, call: 1-800-827-1000 or TTY: 1-800-829-4833. For more information about this agency, visit the website by clicking here.


Readjustment Counseling Service Combat Call Center: 1-877-927-8387 (877-WAR VETS)

VA Suicide Prevention Hotline number: 1-800-273-8255 (800-273-TALK)